Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Visit With The Neurosurgeon in Cincinnati

I apologize for just now updating about my appointment Tuesday with the Neurosurgeon at the Mayfield Center in Cincinnati. After waiting in a waiting room with people who were talking out of their minds I finally got to see the neurosurgeon. He pretty much had my mom and I in shock. He said that my MRI flow test came back fine. There is no blockage. He also said that he didn't think I had Chiari. He saw from the MRI that I had taken there that I had a herniated disc in my neck and he thinks that's whats causing my symptoms. He said he thought I needed physical therapy for my neck and I would start to feel better. As much as I wanted to believe that it's the herniated disc causing my symptoms I know that a herniated disc does not cause blurred vision, headaches, vomiting, speech problems, or memory loss. When we asked him about those he stated that the speech problem may be a result of me taking adderall. Memory problems come with having ADD and not listening. I find that strikingly odd because I have been taking adderall for almost 2 years now and I just started having major problems with my speech last month. As far as the memory I know I'm listening! ADD is more being distracted. Needless to say upon leaving I didn't know what to think. I seriously felt like he didn't want to listen to anything I had to say. I asked him if there was any kind of medication I could take because the pain meds that I had been taking were knocking me out and I couldn't take them while I was at work. He said he would prescribe me something that wouldn't have that effect he prescribed me flexeril (A muscle relaxer) I don't know how many of you have taken that, but I had before when I had hurt my back and it knocked me out! I kept thinking he only showed us the MRI I had taken there. He didn't show us the MRIs I had done in Vincennes. Did he even look at them? If he did look at them and didn't see anything then why didn't he tell my doctor that he didn't think I had Chiari and I didn't need to come? Why would the doctor that read the MRI and the chiropractor think that I had Chiari? I mean obviously there was something on my MRI that made them diagnose me with Chiari. My symptoms all fit to a T!

I called Dr. Brower this morning to discuss this. I was so confused and I wanted to know what he would think about it all. He said that my brain sits 4mm above the skull most peoples sit at least 5mm above. My symptoms all matched up with Chiari. You could literally go down the list and check them off. That's why I was diagnosed with Chiari. He also said that he noticed I had a herniated disc but that's a common find in most MRIs and doesn't explain my symptoms. I asked him about the physical therapy. He said that he wanted to see me again first. So I'm back to not knowing what it is I have. Do I have Chiari? Do I not have Chiari? Whats causing me to feel miserable all the time? Why do I have a neck of an 80yr old? It's obvious Dr. Brower thought it's Chiari and it kind of seems like he still thinks it is. I guess I'll try therapy and if it doesn't resolve the problem I'll see what another neurosurgeon thinks.

Don't get me wrong it would be awesome if I didn't have Chiari but what is it that's making me sick? I believe in God and I believe in the power of prayer. I very well could have been healed but why am I still continuing to have these symptoms?

Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers over the past week! Please keep praying for me to get some answers and to start feeling better.

No comments:

Post a Comment